American Hospital Dubai
American Hospital Dubai (UAE) presently has a job opening for eligible candidate for the position of an Oncology Pharmacist. A premier private healthcare provider in the Middle East, American Hospital Dubai was established in 1996, with the goal of providing world class medical service to the community. The 254 bed, acute care, general medical private hospital has state of the art facilities and an experienced team of healthcare professionals specialized in more than 40 medical and surgical specialties assuring comprehensive care. The hospital is the inaugural member of the prestigious Mayo Care Network. The hospital also operates seven dedicated clinics in Dubai Media City, Al Barsha, Al Khawaneej, Jumeirah, Mira, Dubai Hills and Nad Al Sheba.
Job Purpose of An Oncology Pharmacist
Provides leadership role for staff in performance of functions, in accordance with relevant laws, rules, regulations and standards of pharmaceutical care:
- in the safe, efficient distribution and availability of medications;
- in maintenance of stock levels of medications including expiration; and
- follow up with suppliers.
Job Duties of An Oncology Pharmacist
- Quality and Accuracy.
- Reviews physician’s orders and prescriptions to ensure appropriateness of drug therapy.
- Inputs physician’s medication orders into Pharmacy Patient Medication Profile and maintains this profile and related records.
- Monitors patient medication profile in order to prevent drug interactions, allergic and adverse drug reactions.
- Provides drug information and communicates with prescribers, nurses and other staff regarding drug therapy or safe drug handling.
- Supervises Senior Technician I’s Pharmacy Technician II’s and other support staff in the performance of assigned duties.
- Performs patient teaching functions on appropriate use of medications.
- Monitors and oversees that the Pharmacy is kept in a neat, clean and orderly fashion.
- Performs quality control checks in accordance with departmental procedures.
- Quantity /Organizational Skills.
- Prepares and supervises the preparation of extemporaneously compounded medications, including products requiring aseptic techniques.
- Prepares and supervises the preparation of cytotoxic drugs , requiring aseptic technique.
- Clarifies any physician’s medication order with the physician and transcribes physician’s telephoned orders onto physician’s order sheet for Counter-signing by the physician.
- Supervises and maintains the routine pick-up and delivery of medication and the unit dose cart fill and cassette exchange process.
- Conducts orientation, training, and educational programs as required.
- Conducts quality improvement tasks in conjunction with other staff members.
- Participates on assigned hospital committees.
- Gathers and analyses data for selected drug utilization reviews.
- Performs all duties in a professional, effective and confidential manner.
- Assists in main pharmacy duties including inventory bi-annually, as and when required.
- Performs all other duties as required or assigned.
- Maintains high level of performance on chemotherapy and other drug preparation utilizing the proper aseptic technique.
Who Can Apply?
- Baccalaureate degree in pharmacy or equivalent.
- Current license or registration to practice pharmacy.
- Current D.O.H/ M.O.H. Dubai Pharmacist Licensure.
- Minimum of four (4) years post-graduate experience in a Hospital of which at least two (2) years’ experience in handling chemotherapy drugs.
Knowledge & Skills
- Knowledge of reconstitution and preparation of chemotherapy and other drugs (stability, incompatibility, appropriate dilutions).
- Knowledge of safe handling of chemotherapy drugs (precautions, disposing of waste, handling of spills).
- Knowledge of indications, action, side effects, adverse effects and appropriate use of all medications, specifically medications used in Oncology.
- Able to review order for chemotherapy/ cytotoxic drug, taking into consideration patients clinical conditions (creatinine clearance, etc.)
- Knowledge of pharmaceutical and medical terminology, abbreviations and symbols.
- Knowledge of and able to formulate policies and procedures specific to preparation and safe handling of chemotherapy drugs as per JCIA requirements.