NMC Healthcare is seeking an experienced Laboratory Technologist for Royal Women’s Hospital in Abu Dhabi, UAE.
Purpose of Laboratory Technologist
Analyze blood and body fluids in all sections of the laboratory such as Chemistry, Hematology and Blood Bank, Serology & Immunology, Clinical Microscopy and Microbiology user manual, automated and specialized instrumentation. Reports laboratory results in accurate and timely manner to aid the physicians in their diagnosis, treatment and monitoring of their patients.
Responsibilities of Laboratory Technologist
- Performs phlebotomy on both adult and baby as needed.
- Check the specimen submitted in the laboratory and verifies data with the requisition form and inform the concerned doctor or nurse if any sample is unsuitable for analysis.
- Performs routine and STAT (short turnaround time) laboratory test and sample analysis in accurate and timely manner in all sections of the laboratory under the supervision of the Lab supervisor/pathologist.
- Performs and documents all daily internal quality control process in all sections of the laboratory to ensure proper functioning of instruments, reagents and procedures.
- Responsible to perform and keep records of internal and external proficiency testing in all sections of the laboratory.
- Performs daily, weekly and monthly maintenance of all instruments in the laboratory. Document the same and report any problem to biomedical Department.
What you’ll do
- Perform test in the cell counter and prepare blood smear for pathologist review if required.
- Process chemically and microscopically examine smears of body fluids and stool.
- Perform blood grouping, Coombs test, antibody screening & identification, and cross matching in Blood Bank.
- Chemically analyze blood or urine for toxic components
- Prepare Gram stain and fungal scrapings in microbiology.
- Answer telephonic inquiries.
- Responsible for maintaining turnaround time for critical, STAT (short turnaround time) and inpatients laboratory investigation.
- Prepare samples for outsourced lab investigations and monitoring of results.
- Evaluate the accuracy of laboratory results before entry in Hospital Information System
- Report any laboratory critical results and follow the steps mentioned in the policy
Education & Experience
- BSc in Medical Technology or clinical laboratory science or equivalent qualification requiring NLT 3 years training course.
- Graduate of an accredited (MLT) program leading to registration with ASCP/CSMLS or equivalent.
- Master’s in Biomedical Science or relevant clinical MSc in related field. (Will reduce 1 year from the required years of experience)
- At least two (2) years experience a clinical laboratory environment. * UAE National: upon completion of Internship.
- Currently licensed in country of origin and with HAAD license to practice in Abu Dhabi UAE.
Knowledge & Skills
- Ability to review procedures and implement new models of service delivery to satisfy client and organizational requirements.
- Demonstrated commitment to quality outcomes and ability to consult with staff regarding continuous improvement.
- Excellent command of oral and written English. Arabic language advantageous/desirable but not essential.
- Possess a “can do” and flexible approach.
- Ability to demonstrate highly developed communication and organizational skills at all levels.
- Ability to provide compassionate care that is respectful to patients’ preferences.
- Knowledge of computer skills including Microsoft Word and Excel.
- Ability to work autonomously with minimal supervision and in a team within a complex clinical setting.
- Demonstrates knowledge and practice of confidentiality policy.