Sheikh Shakhbout Medical City
Sheikh Shakhbout Medical City (SSMC) presently has a job opening for eligible candidate for the position of a IV / Transfusion Nurse in Abu Dhabi, UAE. SSMC one of the UAE’s largest hospitals, was founded as part of the Abu Dhabi Economic Vision 2030 to elevate health care services in the Emirate. SSMC works on mission to “Deliver holistic, transformational healthcare solutions that exceed expectations and generate loyalty in the Emirates & beyond”. It delivers world class health services to patients, supported by the latest medical equipment & internationally trained care givers. Conclusively, SSMC is a corner stone of Abu Dhabi’s health care services which are aligned with global quality and safety standards.
Purpose of An IV / Transfusion Nurse
- Ensure effective & safe vascular access for patients.
- Responsibilities include insertion of difficult peripheral intravenous cannulation, midline catheter insertion and PICC line catheter insertion.
Job Specific Duties of An IV / Transfusion Nurse
Peripheral Intravenous (IV) Cannulation
- Inserting peripheral IV catheters in patients with difficult veins or challenging access.
- Assessing and selecting appropriate veins.
- Utilizing various techniques & technologies to enhance successful cannulation, such as ultrasound guided cannulation or vein visualization devices.
- Ensure placement of peripheral IV catheters with minimal complications & maintaining proper infection control.
- Monitoring and maintaining peripheral IV catheters for optimal function and patient comfort.
- Collaborating with healthcare professionals to determine the need for IV therapy and providing recommendations for suitable catheter.
Midline Catheter Insertion
- Identify patients who require midline catheter placement based on clinical indications.
- Assessing and selecting suitable insertion sites for midline.
- Inserting midline catheters with precision, adhering to aseptic technique and proper sterile.
- Verifying catheter tip placement using appropriate imaging methods.
- Educating patients and caregivers on midline catheter care, maintenance and potential.
- Collaborating with healthcare providers to determine appropriate therapy and coordinating the removal or replacement of midline catheters as required.
Peripherally Inserted Central Catheter (PICC) Line Insertion
- Assessing patients suitability for PICC line insertion based on clinical indications, medical history and vein condition.
- Obtaining informed consent from patients and explaining the procedure, benefits and potential.
- Preparing and maintaining a sterile field during the PICC line insertion process.
- Inserting PICC lines using ultrasound guidance and other specialized methods.
- Ensuring accurate positioning of the catheter tip within the superior vena cava under fluoroscopy or other imaging.
- Post-insertion, verifying the function and position of the PICC line through imaging studies.
- Educating patients, caregivers and healthcare providers on PICC line care, maintenance, dressing changes and potential.
- Collaborating with the healthcare team to determine appropriate therapy and coordinating PICC line removal or replacement when necessary.
Your General Responsibilities?
- Documenting all vascular access procedures, patient assessments and interventions accurately and in a timely manner.
- Staying upto date with the latest evidence based practices, guidelines & technologies related to vascular.
- Participating in quality improvement initiatives to enhance patient outcomes .
- Collaborating with interdisciplinary teams to develop policies, procedures and guidelines related to vascular.
- Participating in the evaluation and selection of vascular access devices.
- Maintaining a safe and clean working environment, adhering to infection control protocols and occupational health and safety.
- Prepare and maintain IV cart. Restocks supplies on IV carts in the assigned patient care areas.
- Checks supplies and medications for
- Support other staff in case they experienced difficult cannulation case.
Who Can Apply?
- Bachelor degree in nursing.
- Valid license to practice.
- BLS Certification.
- Not less than 2 years clinical experience in an tertiary healthcare facility.